Erosion & Sediment Control Field Days
19 & 20 October 2017
URI East Farm, Building 75 | Kingston RI 02881
A full day of training for professionals working in soils, erosion control, water quality, public works, engineering, roads, planning and consulting. CREDITS will be awarded; see details, below
This is a terrific learning opportunity as well. FREE STUDENT REGISTRATIONS are being offered, courtesy of the RI Nursery & Landscape Association.
Presented in conjunction with Team E.J. Prescott and partners RI Department of Environmental Management, RI Nursery & Landscape Association, Rhode Island State Conservation Committee and IECA Northeast Chapter.
Sediment is the world’s #1 pollutant. Soil moved by erosion can be harmful to our drinking water resources and our fish & wildlife habitat, and can impact our quality of life. We all need to know our options, both for controlling sediment and for designing & installing more effective long term erosion control solutions.
This field day is a unique collaborative effort between the private and public sectors to share information and promote a better understanding of the latest tools available to all who are entrusted with protecting our precious soil and water resources.
The day will start with classroom presentations and then move outdoors for small group sessions in a hands-on demonstration setting.
Our goal is to provide information that is immediately useful to all who attend. Updates will be posted as the program develops.
SPONSORS AND PRESENTERS
- Rhode Island Nursery & Landscape Association (RINLA)
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RI DEM)
- Rhode Island State Conservation Committee
- Soil & Water Conservation Society (SWCS) Southern New England Chapter (SNEC)
- International Erosion Control Association Northeast Chapter
- Everett J. Prescott, Inc.
- Aqua Blok
- North American Green
- Bowman Supply
- Profile Products
- Advanced Drainage Systems
8:00 a.m. Check In | Vendor Exhibits & Networking
8:30 a.m. Welcome & Opening Remarks
8:45 a.m. Soil Erosion and Sediment Control – Why do we care?
Allison Hamel | Principal Environmental Scientist
RI DOT Office of Stormwater Management
9:30 a.m. Soil Erosion and Sediment Control – Tools & Resources for RI
A review of RI DEM’s Policies and Resources
Brian Lafaille, PE |Principal Sanitary Engineer
RI DEM Office of Water Resources
10:00 a.m. Break & Vendor Exhibits
10:30 a.m. Classroom Recap / Q & A / RI DEM Field Guide smartphone download
11:00 a.m. Rotation through Field Stations
(approximately 30 minutes at each outdoor demonstration site)
12 noon Lunch & Vendor Exhibits
1:00 p.m. Field Stations continued
3:30 p.m. Closing remarks & Wrap-up
- Turf Reinforcement Mats | North American Green
- Porous Pavement Systems | Presto Products (EJP)
- Stream Crossings | Advanced Drainage Systems
- Jobsite Sediment Control | Filtrexx
- Soil Amendments | Bowman Supply
- Innovations in Bentonite Clay | AquaBlok
- Vegetated Solutions | Presto Products
- Flocculants | Applied Polymer Solutions
- Erosion Control and Soil Amendments | Profile Products
- RI DEM: 4 CEU’s for Class I, II, III, & IV OWTS Licenses
- Rhode Island Nursery & Landscape Association: 1 RICH credit
- EnviroCert International: 6.0 Professional Development Hours
Certificates of Attendance
A signed Certificate of Attendance (with the agenda on the back) will be provided to each attendee at the end of the day. Sign-in and sign-out required.
Questions about the program? Contact Jason Normandin at
(401) 333-1317 or Jason.Normandin@ejprescott.com